Friday, June 16, 2006

Reporting Hate Crime

Is it only me or do others feel uncomfortable when such cases are reported on TV? ... my beef is when a reporter will say "____ died/was killed simply because they were Black/Gay/Catholic/Muslim/Jewish..."

Murdered victims of hate crimes have died because their killers had a prejudice against their victims race/sexuality/religion etc - it does the murdered victim and their loved ones an injustice to almost blame their racial/cultural/sexual differences for their deaths? I am getting fed up with such unintelligent and shoddy reporting, because I think that such events should be handled properly and with more sensitivity.

3 Comments:

Blogger Renegade Eye said...

A crime, is a crime, is a crime.

I think classifying things as hate crimes, set up the left for hate crime charges, as hating capitalism, racism, nationalism etc.

9:33 PM  
Blogger voltaires_priest said...

I think you have to be explicit when it's a hate crime. Shoving the consequences of racism or homophbia, etc, in people's faces, is one of the most powerful ways of challenging those bigotries.

Look at all the good that Neville and Doreen Lawrence have done since Stephen was murdered, for example.

11:41 PM  
Anonymous boogski said...

Maybe I'm wrong but my feeling is, especially in the case of murder, that it is more heinous to kill someone "just because". If I had to be the victim of a murder, I'd want it to be during the course of a robbery - as opposed to just being a white guy traveling through an all black neighborhood. Or, If I were black, vice-versa. Of course, I would still be just as dead. "Intent" is a major factor when it comes to the commission of serious crimes. That's not always the case though. Obviously you can't "accidentally" rape someone.

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home