Monday, July 31, 2006

Ahlan°° Min°° Maghreb°°

Hello from Morocco!!!


I hope all are well...

I wanted to add some points about the reaction I am seeing over here... People are getting exposed to loadsa horrific images of civilian casualities in Lebanon and Gaza, over the many Arab satelite TV channels... They are seeing stuff I would never see on UK TV... like the attack on Qana... I was eating my brekky to images of countless corpses of bloodied children being lifted out of the wrecked buildings, their parents heart ravaged with absolute horror and grief. Also the images of Children crying, who have witnessed their parents, aunts, cousins dying or injured... Let alone a group of disabled people who were trying to shelter, some lived, others did not... all these people could not escape, due to having no means of transport.

I am usually resiliant to such things.. but I was crying and very emotional, along with members of my family who were also watching the same coverage... I don't think it was just because of the moment of identifying with how it must be and feeling the loss...but it was also out of frustration and hopelessness. So little is being done to stop this carnage and the needless deaths of civilians. The refusal to discuss a ceasefire or to call for negotiations. Even with the 48 hour let down.. is a lie... a representative from Oxfam and BBC journalists were still hearing shelling.

The feeling here is quite fearce... Even national celebrationso f the Throne have been cancelled in respect of the death and war going on in the ME. I don't think I can put into words the stuff I have been hearing from people.. maybe I will talk about it once I am back in the UK.

2 Comments:

Blogger voltaires_priest said...

Please do talk about it if you want to, Lala - it sounds horrendous. I hope you're OK.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Brynley said...

Thank you for this post. In fairness, there has been some honest reporting of the terror against Lebanon on Channel 4 and parts of the BBC. Though Sky News has been more pro-Israeli government line than the Israeli government could ever hope for, a taste of broadcasting to come, I fear the Foxification of Sky has already begun.

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home