Monday, May 29, 2006

Political Bloggers

At some point in the past few years, there was a point when the internet stopped being the furtive habit of sweaty middle aged men who live with their mothers, and became socially acceptable. Shortly after that, it went political.

The net is now, it seems, a serious political phenomenon, especially in the USA where the right initially stole a march with sites like The Drudge Report, but where liberals swiftly caught up (especially in the aftermath of the Howard Dean campaign) and now MoveOn and the Daily Kos go toe to toe with the right-wingers.

In Britain, the "pro-war lefties" of Harry's Place (with whose views on the war I don't agree, but who are always a good read) punch well above their weight, often providing sources that print and broadcast journalists are now obliged to follow. They also did a lot of work towards the famous/infamous Euston Manifesto, which is now provoking praise and derision in equal measure across the political spectrum.

But... then when the hell did this happen? I mean, think about the idea of bloggers as a political force; has it occurred to you just how scary that is? Hell, it means even a shiraz quaffing curry buff like me can become a political writer...

And if I can do it, then so can anyone.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It isn't scary at all - that is the joy of it. Get stuck in.

One thing though, before you do - curry and shiraz? That just doesn't go. Not having that. You want a nice cool lager - a Belo or something. And I hope you don't eat that vile lime pickle stuff...

1:00 PM  
Blogger voltaires_priest said...

I do, you know. Especially made with hot spices lol :D

Although I do agree to an extent - especially on a summer's day, you can't beat a curry washed down down with a cold Cobra. But hey, I'm a red wine man at the end of the day!

12:44 AM  
Blogger voltaires_priest said...

Actually, I just took a look at your site - I notice you're a Euston signatory. I'd be interested to know what drew you towards signing it?

2:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This.

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Initially, one of us, Matt Murrell, signed it, and the other 2 didn't. Which was bit odd, as the two of us were vaguely for the Iraq War, whereas he opposed it.

I have to say we are still not THAT convinced by the document itself, and are more interested in supporting the EM for what they plan to do with the document, rather than what it contains.

2:35 PM  
Blogger voltaires_priest said...

Sure, I see what you mean in terms of the document, which can be read in a number of ways.

I think essentially the problem with it, is the way in which it seems in effect to rely on the bourgeois west as an agent for progressive change. I dunno what your views are, but I think that's a serious flaw in the thinking behind the manifesto.

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home