Tuesday, August 29, 2006

OK, I've been tagged for the book thing...

... by Stroppy. So here goes:

1. One book that changed your life - Murray Bookchin "The Ecology of Freedom". I don't agree with all of the politics in it, but it's what convinced me that a thinking radicalism is possible without simply becoming right-wing.

2. One book that you've read more than once - Ken Macleod "The Star Fraction" - thoughtful and fun, a rare combination.

3. One book that you'd want on a desert island - the Dune books (all of them). Geeky but they'd keep me entertained.

4. One book that made you laugh - "Gerry Healy: A Revolutionary Life" - I never read the whole thing but the title alone had me rolling on the floor, howling with laughter until tears streamed from my eyes.

5. One book that made you cry - Donald Woods "Biko". With sadness, anger and joy at different places.

6. One book you wish you had written - Horkheimer and Adorno "The Dialectic of Enlightenment", if only to see my name on 10,000 undergraduate reading lists.

7. One book you wish had never been written - the entire Chick Lit genre. If I have to see another novel about a funny, middle class girl living in Hampstead who drinks chardonnay and falls over a lot but ends up marrying the handsome writer next door after a series of amusing japes, I may explode.

8. One book you're currently reading - James Carville and Mary Matalin "All's Fair"; what can I say, I'm a US politics junkie!

9. One book you have been meaning to read - James P Cannon "The Struggle for a Proletarian Party" - I actually bought a copy some years ago in a fit of revolutionary ardour, but have never yet mustered the will...

Right... Tags: Denham, Broder, Mike, Darren and Janine!

10 Comments:

Blogger stroppybird said...

Will Jim divulge his poodle book collection :-)

11:10 AM  
Blogger Simon said...

Stroppy,

I believe Jim's favourite book is called "Me and my poodles" by John Coltrane. In it John explains, with photographs and (dissapointingly) crude illustrations, his favourite outfits for his poodles. He recommends listening to A Love Supreme whilst admiring the photos.

12:42 PM  
Blogger stroppybird said...

Ha, where is the poodle man !!

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr D hates Coltrane.

Paul McG

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr D hates everbody.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Imposs1904 said...

Hello VP,

cheers for the tag, but I already did the meme here and it prompted a much better post here.

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul,

That was kind of the point.

4:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I'll get onto that by the weekend.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Louisefeminista said...

Voltaires: Ah, another JP Cannon mention.

So many male trotty types love him and quote him. Yes, I too have his bks (yes I do)but oh well, they're kinda gathering dust on my book case. I read them many years ago when I was an excited young trot.

If anyone wants my Cannon collection they can...

2:29 AM  
Blogger voltaires_priest said...

I bet Denham'll have them from you (those books that he doesn't already own anyways) - he's playing Jazz in Cornwall at the mo but you'll doubtless hear from him when he gets back, assuming he reads this ;-)

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home